terça-feira, 16 de abril de 2013

BOSTON MARATHON - ATENTADO - NYTIMES.COM VEICULOU

Boston Combs Mile-Square Crime Scene After Deadly Blasts

Witnesses to Chaos at Boston Marathon: A runner and bystanders near the explosions at the Boston Marathon describe the blasts and the chaotic scene.
BOSTON — The day after two powerful bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, a mile-square area around Copley Square here remained cordoned off as a crime scene, and officials still had no one in custody. However, investigators searched a house in a nearby suburb late Monday night.
 

Multimedia

John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe, via Associated Press
An injured woman is tended to at the scene of the first explosion Monday, on Boylston Street near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. More Photos »

Readers’ Comments

Hundreds of runners who had expected to leave Boston on Tuesday morning with a sense of triumph after a night of celebration left instead with heavy hearts after at least three people were killed and more than 140 were injured, some of them having lost limbs and suffered grievous wounds.
Among the dead was an 8-year-old boy, identified by The Boston Globe as Martin Richard of Dorchester. Friends and family gathered Monday night at a restaurant to mourn him; he had been watching the marathon with his family, and his mother and a sister were badly injured. The names of the other victims have not been made public.
Late Monday night, law enforcement officials descended on an apartment building in the suburb of Revere, about five miles north of Copley Square. They were seen entering the Water’s Edge apartment complex at 364 Ocean Ave., but officials provided no details of what local news accounts reported was a search. The authorities have not announced any arrests, and so far, no one has claimed responsibility as the police conduct what they said was “a criminal investigation that is a potential terrorist investigation.”
Among those injured were two brothers who had been watching the race. Both lost a leg from the knee down in the explosion. The men, ages 31 and 33, were taken to different hospitals and had lost track of each other until their frantic mother and other family members found them. Their names were not made public.
City streets that normally would be clogged at rush hour were largely deserted Tuesday except for a cold wind and a few runners out for a morning jog. “It’s very surreal,” said Mary Ollinger, 32, who works at Wentworth Institute of Technology. “The streets are empty and the Common is filled with media trucks.”
Hundreds if not thousands of office workers avoided the city on Tuesday because of closures. Maria Luna, 38, who lives in Watertown and usually commutes by bus to her job as an investment analyst at John Hancock, said she was staying home. “My manager told me it would be very limited access,” she said by phone. The emergency protocol in her office was activated, she said, meaning that essential workers, like those who must move cash on a time-sensitive basis, could report to an off-site disaster recovery station in Portsmouth, N.H., where the company has computers.
She said she felt a combination of sadness and terror. “Right now I have a big ball in the pit of my stomach,” she said.
While many area colleges were open on Tuesday, Emerson College said it canceled classes “for healing and reflection.”
Pat Cramer, 44, of Moorestown, N.J., who ran the race Monday, said he and a friend would try to see some of Boston, agreeing that they did not want the bombings to change their lives. “If you change your life, they win,” he said, a common refrain after the Sept. 11 attacks although in this case, no one knows yet who “they” are.
White House officials said that President Obama received updates overnight about the investigation from Lisa Monaco, his chief counterterrorism and homeland security adviser. “The president made clear that he expects to be kept up to date on any developments and directed his team to make sure that all federal resources that can support these efforts, including the investigation being led by the FBI, be made available,” a White House official said. Mr. Obama is to be briefed again later this morning by Ms. Monaco and the director of the F.B.I., Robert Mueller.
In Boston, law enforcement officials expect to brief the media at 9:30.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário